Digging in with Aaron Naparstek of Streetsblog who blew the lid off Vista Outdoors, owner of many large cycling companies, Bell, Giro, Blackburn, Copilot, etc., sponsoring the NRA and NRATV. As Aaron dug in he realized that Vista Outdoors also has PAC that gives money to the main Utah politicians trying to privatize public land in Utah. This is the fight that REI is very vocal in fighting, and yet they carry a lot of product from Vista Outdoors brands.
Wherever you sit on this issue, we would love to hear from you!
- Naparstek's original on Twitter about Vista Outdoors can be found here
- His follow up about Vista Outdoors supporting the politicians pushing for privatizing public land can be found here
- The President Stole Your Land blast from REI on Washington Post
- Vista Outdoor PAC spent $20,000 on Rep. Rob Bishop and $24,000 on Rep. Chris Stewart in the last two campaign cycles. Vista Outdoor is a Top 25 donors for each of these guys. Other big donors to Bishop and Stewart include Exxon Mobil, Halliburton, Chevron and ConocoPhillips.
- Vista Outdoors political contribution for 2016 & 2018
- Rep. Rob Bishop is chairman of the House Committee on Natural Resources. Outside Magazine calls him America's “Public Lands Enemy #1.” He’s been a driving force and architect of the privatization and exploitation of western public lands.
- @REI is selling products and brands owned by Vista Outdoor, a company that not only supports the NRA but is using its SuperPAC to fund the Congressmen who are leading the assault on protected public lands. How do REI's 6,000,000+ members feel about that?
- If you agree with Aaron then sign this petition asking REI CEO Jerry Stritzke to stop selling products and brands owned by Vista Outdoor. These include Giro, Blackburn, CamelBak, Bell, Camp Chef, and Bolle.
SubscribeYou can subscribe with your favorite podcast app and never miss an episode - iTunes, Stitcher, & YouTube
Join the Conversation!
Make sure to join the conversation on your favorite social channel using #betterbikeindustry. If you enjoyed this episode then make sure to listen to others!